Can I tell you a secret? I don’t like custard. Earth shattering isn’t it? Well it is if you like trifle – which I do.
My Grandma always used to make a Christmas Trifle and Derm’s Mum always makes one every Christmas Eve. I get awful trifle envy watching people devour them but I just can’t get the custard down. Its not the smell or the taste, its the texture.
I have had to make my own recipe up to quell that need for trifle and this is my most Christmassy of trifle recipes. Many Thanks to Mackays who provided me with the Lemon Curd to make this recipe.
Christmas Lemon Curd & Amaretto Trifle
- 100 g Crunchy Almond Biscuits - I used Cantunicci Italian Biscuits
- 4 tbsp Amaretto Liqueur or maybe I slipped and put 1 more in!
- 1 jar Good Quality Lemon Curd 340g I used Mackays
- 1 tub approx 284ml Double Cream - Whipped so it is quite thick
- 2 Meringue Nests or 8 Mini Meringues - Shop Bought are fine
- To garnish:
- Handful of toasted Chopped Almonds and/or Caramelised Lemon Rind
- In a shallow dish, lay the biscuits out flat and pour over the amaretto.
- Allow to sit for a couple of minutes, then crush with a fork until rough crumb mixture
- Take half of the biscuit mixture and lay flat in the bottom of your trifle bowl (I know my bowl is much too big!)
- Mix together the Lemon Curd and the Whipped cream until well combined.
- Spread half of the Lemon cream mixture over the biscuits.
- Crumble over the Meringue so it forms a thin layer over the lemon cream.
- Crumble over the remaining biscuit mixture.
- Spread over the remaining Lemon Cream.
- Toast the almonds in a small frying pan and use to decorate the trifle - adds a really lovely crunch and smoky taste.
- Decorate with Caramelised Lemon Rind if you have any.
- Leave in the fridge for at least one hour.