Its a sad day in the Costello house. Where there should be a delicious Chocolate Orange cake as part of the Clandestine Cakealong, we have ‘Not Well Soup’. I do admit I’m feeling better now but cakes definitely weren’t on the agenda last week.
I can offer some delicious soup though – I did a trial run of this recipe last week. Perhaps I was tempting fate, knowing I would end up ill.
Seriously though, this is very delicious and tasty. I bought a huge bag of red lentils from Costco a few weeks ago so be prepared for more lentils recipes coming soon.
Sweet Potato, Lentil & Chilli Soup
- 1 small onion - Chopped finely if you are not using a soup maker
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 100 g Red Lentils
- 1 red chilli finely chopped - with or without seeds depending on how spicy you like your soup or 1 tsp hot Chilli Powder
- 150 ml water plus more to simmer the lentils & cook the Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tsp veg stock or 1 veg stock cube
- Double cream to serve Optional - I don't like it
- Place the red lentils in a small pan and cover with water - Simmer for 20 mins. Drain & remove any froth.
- Peel & Chop the Sweet Potatoes into 1 inch chunks. Cook in boiling water until soft.
- Sautee the onions until soft - they don't need to be allowed to go brown.
- Add the Sweet Potatoes, Lentils, Chilli, water and veg stock all at once to the onions and bring to the boil.
- Leave to simmer with the lid on for approx 10-15 mins.
- Blend until smooth and serve.
Am back in the kitchen with my baking head firmly on so Chocolate Orange Cake coming very soon!