What do you serve when the WI ladies are coming round in less than an hour for committee meeting? Once a month, I hold the WI Committee Meeting at my house – It always falls on an evening when Millie needs to be at training so I would not be able to go if it wasn’t at mine. It does mean, though, that I have the job of trying to get Violet & Tara to sleep with a house full of women whilst trying to take minutes. It also always seems to fall on the nights that I find the kids have eaten all the biscuits – I decided last month to be brave and whip up a batch of brownies for us to nibble on between agenda items.
Now because I needed the brownies to be ready to eat within an hour and didn’t want ‘The Ladies’ (according to Violet) to be dealing with crumbly, disintegrating brownies, I kept them in the oven for an extra 2 minutes – They were still lovely and soft & fudgy but not sloppy in the centre. If you like your brownies, super fudgy and can deal with the fallout, then only cook for 20 mins.
Needlesstosay, these Brownies were very moreish – I’m not normally one for downing several pieces of brownies at a time but the addition of the orange flavour rendered these irresistible. Just as well really, as after all that trouble, I forgot to serve the blasted Brownies to the ‘Ladies’ and we ended up eating them all!
I completely love this week’s featured #BakeoftheWeek. Very skilled and delicate baking from Tales from the Kitchen Shed. Her Tuiles are so versatile – The post features round biscuits and cigar shapes that bring back wonderful memories of childhood Christmases. I am desperate to try some Speculoos Tuiles once I get my mitts on some Speculoos spice.
We also had a wonderful selection of cakes entered into #BakeoftheWeek this week:
1. Carrying on the Chocolate Orange theme was Only Crumbs Remain with her Chocolate Orange Marbled Cupcakes
2. Mummy Mishaps shared her fantastic taste combination of Chocolate, Banana & Liquorice Mint Tea Cake
3. Shazz Bakes face us her GF Classic of Ginger & Treacle Cake.
4. And who could resist Baked to Imperfection’s Gin & Tonic Cake? Not me!
There was a complete variety of other bakes this week too – Definitely one of the best things about running this linky is being reminded of all the creations that can be made using an oven!
5. My love for mushrooms is definitely catered for by Maison Cupcake’s Portobello Mushroom Puff Pastry Tarts.
6. Making the most of the summer and seasonal strawberries is Mummy Mishaps with her Shimmery Fruity Flower Meringues
7. Catering for a friend with special dietary requirements was Miss Pond with her stunning sounding Cherry & Sunflower Seed Vegan Flapjacks.
8. Proving that Bread & Butter puds don’t have to be stodgy & bland is Foodie Quine with her Rhubarb & Ginger Brioche Bread & Butter Pudding. How amazing does that sound?
9. And lastly, my co-host Maison Cupcake with her 4 ingredient Salmon Puff Pastries with Pesto.
And so that’s our round up for another week – Sarah will be back with the roundup next Tuesday. Feel free to add up to 3 entries per blog – Please remember to link to both me (https://casacostello.com) and Sarah (http://MaisonCupcake.com) and add the #BakeoftheWeek badge to your post. If you get chance, please visit a couple of other entries – leave the hashtag #BakeoftheWeek to let them know where you found them from!
<div align="center"><a href="https://casacostello.com" title="Casa Costello" target="_blank"><img src="https://casacostello.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bake-of-the-week.jpg" alt="Casa Costello" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
As usual we will comment on each post, tweet, pin each entry and add to Stumble Upon & Yummly. Every entry gets linked to and mentioned in the roundup – Will yours be the featured recipe next week??