These are not quite the perfect look that I was after but they have gone down so well with the kids. It was definitely time to put the Baker perfection in me aside – we had such great fun assembling these cookies that I decided to show them anyway. I will make them again for nicer photos but for now, embrace the mother in me!
A sugar cookie recipe that I have used time and time again – just made a little more child friendly with oodles of gel food colourings! Warning: Liquid food colourings will not work for this recipe – someone comes along and steals all the colour the minute they go in the oven.
Tips for making them look better (Now, there’s a catchy title!)
* Separate the dough into 1/3 and 2/3 – Only colour the 1/3 – I think the coloured sections of my cookies are a little too thick
* Make sure all the coloured sections meet up – I had small gaps which seemed to grow in the oven
* Don’t be frightened of using a rolling pin to flatten down the different sections in the cookies
* Experiment with different flavours – Lemon, Lime and Orange Zest all work really well in these cookies. Use the zest of at least 2 x whatever fruit.
Whilst we are having a colourful week, I thought I would choose Alida from My Little Italian Kitchen as this week’s featured baker – This week she has shared her Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Puff Pastry Tart in wonderful Italian colours.
We are starting this week off with an abundance of cookies and cupcakes – One can never have too many!
1. These Double Chocolate Tahini Cookies even help you climb up mountains (week almost according to the Free From Fairy)
2. Its been the week for Minions (My kids are uber excited about watching the Minion movie next week – will you be watching it?) ET Speaks from Home came up with these brilliant Steamed Sweet Corn Cakes decorated as minions.
3. More biscuit loveliness and a huge Happy 80th Birthday to Lancashire Food’s friend – Cranberry & Citrus Cookies
4. These Blondie Cupcakes from Lemon & Lime Thyme are just perfection – The purple Blackcurrant Buttercream with those pretty flowers are too cute!
5. In answer to Truly MadlyKids’ question, Yes! Real men do eat cupcakes – At least they all disappear very quickly in this house and it certainly isn’t me and the kids that eat the most! Blondie Cupcakes looking wonderful.
6. Practically so healthy they couldn’t be enjoyable – but I bet they are! Winnie brings us Chocolate Chip Oat Banana Cookies
7. Making a perfect and very kind gift this week are these Golden Syrup Ginger Cupcakes from Eating Enhanced
8. Baking her way through a broken freezer is the Gluten Free Alchemist with Strawberry Crumble Muffins – Doesn’t look too much of a hardship to eat these to me!
9. Bringing back memories of a recent visit to the US with beautiful Red Velvet Cupcakes is Nic’s Bakes – Does anyone else really fancy some Cream Cheese frosting after reading this post?
Lets move onto Breakfast and Bread Products – Perfect way to start the weekend!
10. Extremely beautiful Mini Chocolate Stuffed Vanilla Bean Brioche from Domestic Gothess
11. I wish Truly Madly Kids was in our house every morning to provide us with Lemon Breakfast Pancakes
12. Are they bread rolls or are they barm cakes? The discussion is endless – Cheese & Herb Bread Rolls from Baking Queen 74
13. I cannot believe I’ve never made Baba Ganoush – Will rectify very soon after seeing Petite Raisin’s fab pictures
14. I have to admit my Slow Cooker is stashed away for the summer – Hijacked by Twins is clearly making the most of hers though with this Baba Ganoush
15. Dream Baker is even tempting me into making Slow Cooked Pork in Cider which take a whole 3 days to come to fruition – They actually look and sound worth the effort though! Read her post!
16. Hoping the picnic weather makes a return soon – Hijacked by Twin’s Cheese & Onion Quiche is perfect for picnics
17. Domestic Gothess is making bread special with her Pain a la Creme – Otherwise known as Double Cream Bread Rolls. How decadent do they sound?
18. I wish I hadn’t demolished that Chocolate Orange quite so viciously last night after seeing these Pain a la Creme from Giraffes Can Bake. Never mind, a good excuse to go buy another!
19. One of the most perfectly formed Strawberry Pavlovas I’ve ever seen – I’d be proud of this one if I were FarmersGirl Kitchen
20. I love how Mummy Mishaps has embraced the Piñata Cake and comes up with more and more extravagant ideas – Her Strawberries & Cream Piñata Cake is excellent
21. Caramelised White Chocolate & Macadamia Nut Ice Cream from Giraffes Can Bake – I dare you to look at these photos without yearning for some! Stunning!
22. Cloud Jellies featured on Kidgredients this week can bring all sorts of health benefits – I will never look at gelatin in the same way again (Although we do tend to use more of it on Millie’s hair than in cooking in this house!)
23. This Cashew & Almond Praline on top of Almond Cake sounds just divine from Kirsty at Hijacked by Twins
24. Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse Cake on a super rich Hazelnut Crust – Perfect for Chocolate Loving Fathers out there this Father’s Day weekend – Winnie’s Blog
Many thanks to those of you who volunteered to cover #Bakeoftheweek during our summer holiday – I still need a couple more, so if you are tempted, please shout.
Please add the badge to your post when entering so we can spread the word and more bakers can find us and join in. I love the variety of bakes – all welcome! I’m going to try to be earlier next week in posting – These Wednesdays just keep speeding up!
<div align="center"><a href="https://casacostello.com" title="Casa Costello" target="_blank"><img src="https://casacostello.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bake-of-the-week.jpg" alt="Casa Costello" style="border:none;" /></a></div>