I have a huge cake for this week’s #BakeoftheWeek from me. Last week was my first major week since re-opening my cake business, Aardvark Cakes. There was slight trepidation – Could I remember how to make cakes? Had I slowed down a lot? Would the customers be happy?
The answers are, happily, yes I can remember what to do – Some of my cakes last week were particularly challenging in terms of design and size but I really enjoyed it and thankfully all the recipients seem really happy. Phew! I have slowed down A LOT since I was doing several cakes a week regularly so by Thursday evening, I was more than a little frazzled. The washing had definitely piled up untouched, even the post lay unopened and my beloved IMac must have wondered where I had disappeared to. All good though, I had a really fulfilling and energising week. Bring on the next orders!
The cake I have chosen to display is one of 2 18th Birthday cakes I did last week. Am ombre cake both inside and outside. Not being able to cut into and see the 4 tiers of pink ombre sponge was a killer but on Saturday evening I got sent some brilliant pictures from the party showing the inside of the cake in all its glory.
The problem I found with this cake is that being 4 tiers high, it really needed dowelling and boards to support the lower tiers and prevent sagging. This would have spoiled the effect though so I had to chance it and cover the cakes, hoping it would travel ok and not collapse. It made the 20 minute cake journey no problem.
Thanks very much to Sarah at Maison Cupcake for last week’s Bake of the Week roundup. Such a feast for the eyes of Easter bakes and treats. This week is also a delight – I start my roundup with a series of miniatures:
1. Utterly gorgeous Mini Trifle Cakes from Only Crumbs Remain – Not a 70’s glass bowl in sight!
2. Beautiful dual coloured frosting on these cupcakes from Kirsty at Hijacked By Twins.
3. Simple and stunning Coconut Cupcakes from Don’t Sweat The Recipe
4. Never be bored of bundt – Baked to Imperfection has a selection of Mini Bundts for us to admire.
My feature recipe this week though is from the Gluten Free Alchemist. Choose between your favourite flavour Soft Nutty Cookie Mounds – I’d go for the Amaretti (or possibly the Pistachio!)
5. Domestic Gothess’ Chocolate, Olive Oil & Rosemary Cake with Candied Blood Oranges – How this lady comes up with her flavour combinations is a work of art.
6. Apricot & Apple Couronne from Baking Queen 74- Love the bright natural colour of this.
7. Rich, fudgey, dark & very tempting & Better for you Brownies from Domestic Gothess
8. Totally indulgent Rocky Road Cupcakes with Double Cream Topping from The Mummy Toolbox – My kids would demolish these!
9. Who could resist a Giant Jaffa Cake (& its GF too!) – Allotment 2 Kitchen
And finally …
You can always count on Mummy Mishaps to provide a show stopping birthday cake – Her family must love her! This Sweetie Topped Sensation is no exception.
The linky is now open for your entries – Lets continue to spread the word about #BakeoftheWeek and encourage more new entrants – A warm welcome to all blogs who are joining us for the first time this week. Sarah at Maison Cupcake will take over the roundup next Tuesday.
As usual, we comment on all entries, pin them, tweet them, Add to Yummly, Stumble them & G+ where possible. If you get chance, please comment on a couple of other entries too using the #BakeoftheWeek. (I’m doing all my sharing this week from a Premier Inn in Aldershot so please bear with my snail wifi speed)
Please remember to add the badge and link to Sarah (http://maisoncupcake.com) & myself (https://casacostello.com) too.
<div align="center"><a href="https://casacostello.com" title="Casa Costello" target="_blank"><img src="https://casacostello.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bake-of-the-week.jpg" alt="Casa Costello" style="border:none;" /></a></div>