Well, we were all fooled but the mild weather last week, weren’t we? Hands up who else started talking about spring being on its way. Seems not, Storm Doris is hitting us today with a vengeance so out comes the soup maker. As with all my soups, a soup maker is not necessary to create this recipe for Butternut Squash, Red Pepper & Mint Soup(but they are blinking brilliant if you are contemplating getting one).
If you just want a creamy, comforting soup then leave out the chilli but we love a kick so went for a whole red chilli which happily blew away the cobwebs. Obviously, the swirl of sour cream is optional if you want to keep the soup healthier. I use full fat coconut milk as I find light coconut milk not tasty or creamy enough, but again adapt the recipe how ever you like.
Instructions if not using a soup maker:
- Roast the peppers as described above.
- Boil the butternut squash in water until softened
- Using a dash of vegetable oil, slowly fry the onions until translucent
- Add the peppers, squash and other ingredients to the onions in a large pan and cook through for 5 minutes until just starts to bubble at the edges. Do not allow to boil
- Blitz until smooth with a hand held mixer, watch that it doesn’t splash you as it will be HOT!