I’m declaring winter to be over – I’ve officially had enough of the cold and misery. Time for some spring in our step and in our cooking. For this week’s Bake of the Week recipe, I wanted a fresh feel – so what better than lemon eclairs with a White Chocolate Ganache topping?
I’ve mentioned before my love of making choux pastry – and now I’ve discovered that it is possible to decorate eclairs & choux buns too. I’m in heaven.
Its not been the easiest week – You may have already gathered that by how late #Bakeoftheweek is – Vi has had a horrid bout of Tonsilitis – This definitely wasn’t a house to be baking in on Monday or Tuesday of this week. She happily skipped off to school this morning though, so hopefully that’s that over with.
To make the choux pastry follow the same recipe as for the Passion Fruit & White Chocolate Profiteroles – The only difference in the baking is as follows:
Bake for 15 at 200C
Open and shut the oven door quickly and as if you mean it (so sort of slam it!)
Reduce the temp to 180 and bake for another 10 minutes
Remove from the oven – pierce a hole in the bottom of the eclair then continue to bake for a further 5 minutes.
They should be golden and crispy
To make the Lemon Cream:
250ml of double cream – Whisked until fairly firm
Grated Zest of 2-3 lemons (depending on how strong you like it)
Optional: 1tsp lemon extract
To make the White Chocolate Ganache:
4 tbsp Double Cream
100g White Chocolate
Melt the white chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water – not allowing the bottom of the glass bowl to actually touch the water
At the same time, heat the double cream in a small pan until it just starts to bubble at the edges. Remove immediately from the heat.
As soon as the white chocolate has melted (Stir like crazy to make sure this happens), pour half of the slightly warm cream into the chocolate whilst still stirring.
It will look horrid but keep with it – Stir until fully combined then add the remaining cream.
The white chocolate will be thick enough to spread on top of the eclairs but for the piped brown bits, I added 2 tbsp icing sugar and some brown edible dusting powder
My featured post of the week has got to be these amazing, incredible & spectacular Mini White Chocolate Cheesecakes from Winnie’s blog. There are not enough adjectives to describe this lady’s talent and these are sheer perfection. I only wish I would get chance to share some with her.
My first roundup is all the individual portions – Love how we don’t have to share!
1. Giraffes can Bake with her Banoffee Muffins – look so light and airy
2. Baking in Pyjamas got creative with cookies and her Bourbon Creams – Yum!
3. She has definitely had a busy week as she also shared Coconut filled Brownies – I have a bag of coconut waiting patiently for me to make these!
4. Another exciting creation from Winnie’s Blog Baked Cheesecake Apples
5. Inspired by Celebrity Bake Off, Eileen from ET Speaks From Home with Chocolate Profiteroles
6. Hidden Oreo Cupcakes that are dairy, egg & nut free – Perfect from the Free From Farmhouse
7. You have no soul if you don’t fancy these Bailey Salted Caramel Chocolate Mousse Oreo Tarts from Domestic Gothess
8. Another fan of white chocolate with her Jammy Dodgers is Friends Family Food
9. Perfect for the kiddies, Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes – so pretty from Mummy Mishaps
10. I think I have fallen in love with this Salted Caramel Hazelnut Cake from Baking in Pyjamas
11. Love the colours in this Mango Mascarpone Tart from Giraffes Can Bake
12. Truly stunning white chocolate roses on this Red Velvet Cake from Baking in Pyjamas
13. Homemade Multigrain Bread that would be perfect for any breakfast from Tales from the Kitchen Shed
14. Perfect for the picnics we will have now it is spring 😉 Coconut & Ginger Flapjacks from Domestic Gothess
15. A beautiful bake as ever from Baking Queen with her Speculoos Butter Twist Bread
16. Loving the frugal use of old cereal crumbs in this cereal cake from Jibber Jabber
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.casacostello.com" title="Casa Costello" target="_blank"><img src="http://casacostello.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bake-of-the-week.jpg" alt="Casa Costello" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
We are now open for your next entries – I’ll be catching up on all the comments and sharing over the weekend. I’m not beating about the bush finishing off but just to say, thanks for joining in – you know I love you all?!
Same rules as usual – Please add the badge, Please share the word about Bake of the Week, 3 entries maximum and have a lovely week!