My last 2 entries for the Secret Recipe Club were quite quick and simple, (Roasted Red Pepper Relish & Glazed Maple Oat & Pecan Scones). For this month’s assignment, I fully intended on doing a ‘significant’ bake – One that tested my skills or looked really impressive. I headed to the Desserts section of my partner’s blog and just got stuck on the idea of making these Coconut & Almond Macaroons. They seemed perfect for Saturday afternoon baking, I knew we were having quite a heavy meal for dinner (tea) and I had the ingredients in already.
For June’s Secret Recipe Club (Can you believe I’m on the 4th month already?), I was partnered with Laura from Mother Would Know blog. Based in Washington, Laura describes her wonderful blog as Home Cooking Beats Take Out (and very right she is!) Laura tells us that we can ask her anything about cooking without fear of feeling stupid. I really enjoy reading Laura’s blog and will visit many times again – Its what I call a ‘reading blog’. There’s always something to learn – Some of the recipes and tips are really simple, perfect for when you need a reminder of what can be made with an ingredient.
I feel a little bit sorry for Macaroons at the moment – They seem to have been overlooked by the ever so pretty Macaron, which are so much more involved to prepare. Macaroons are coconutty, light and quick to make. I like an added flavour and welcomed the touch of almond. I have made Laura’s recipe twice now – They don’t tend to hang around for long. Mr C describes them as ‘tasty poos’ (And you wonder why he’s not a food blogger?!). I agree, they are not the prettiest treat but so tasty. The second time I made them I sprinkled caster sugar on them as soon as they came out of the oven which gave an incredible crunch. Its definitely worth toasting the almonds and the coconut but beware to keep stirring them and not overdo it as they can easily catch.
And so onto the recipe – The first difference I noticed between Laura’s and our ingredients are how small out coconut and almond pieces are. I’m sure the taste was very similar but my goodness, they look so different. Being part of the SRC is really making me want to travel more and discover foodie traditions and flavours.
The ingredients … I do love Cup measurements for speed. I wish the UK used that way of measuring too.
- 1 cup (4½ ounces) of slivered almonds, lightly toasted and ground
- 1 cup (3 ½ ounces) of shredded or flaked (sweetened) coconut, half lightly toasted
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup (4 ounces) sugar
- 2 teaspoon almond extract (Laura’s recipe only calls for 1/4 tsp but I like a definite almond flavour)
- I lightly toasted the almonds and coconut separately in one of my new frying pans
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line 2 baking trays with baking parchment
- Whisk the egg whites until you have stiff peaks using an electric mixer on a medium speed setting
- VERY slowly add the sugar, no more than 1/2 tsp at a time – it should take at least 10 minutes to combine
- Sprinkle over the almond extract and VERY slowly fold in the almonds/coconut 1 tbsp at a time
- Use 2 teaspoons to measure out blobs of macaroons (There’s no way of making them neat and pretty so don’t waste your time)
- Bake for 16 minutes (Laura says 20-25 minutes but mine were already done)
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack
- Eat on the same day
And so that is the Secret Recipe Club over for another month. Why not visit some of the other entries to see what they made? Many Thanks to Laura for sharing her lovely blog -I look forward to being able to out myself and come clean that I have been stalking your blog for the past month!