Picnic season is in full swing around here – Over the summer holidays we eat on the beach most days. I’m not a huge sandwich lover (Mr C is though) so am constantly looking for sandwich alternatives. Savoury muffins are definitely handy, they can be frozen and defrosted just in time for impromptu days out too.
I can highly recommend savoury muffins for trying out new taste combinations – the rest of the ingredients are inexpensive and they are not too time consuming to prepare. If you have some random vegetables or cooked meats loitering in the fridge, bung them in. See what happens!
My Bacon, Mushroom & Basil Muffins are a tried and tested recipe and taste combination – I find it hard to eat bacon without mushrooms.
Coming soon: Cheese, Onion & Rosemary Savoury Muffins
My featured bake for this week is from Sarah at Maison Cupcake – Great to see that Sarah has joined the Bake of the Week gang. This week she is sharing this incredible Blackberry Chocolate Charlotte Cake. She tells us that if you can melt chocolate, you can make this cake – so there’s a challenge! Just a beautiful cake!
Now because I’ve done a savoury bake for this week’s Bake of the Week, I’ve highlighted other savoury entries too. I’m trying to cut down on some sugar at the moment – Don’t worry, it won’t last long. Its just occurred to me that in a few weeks I’ll be parading around a french campsite in a swimming costume. That’s my attempt at dieting!
Left to right:
* Cheesy Mexican Corn on the Cob from Petite Raisin – My girls devour all signs of corn. They would marvel at those beautiful leaves.
* I can almost smell this divine Garlic & Herb Twister Bread cooking – Homemade is always better than shop bought! Tales from the Kitchen Shed is right about it being a fabulous centre piece.
* Not strictly savoury but with a savoury ingredient – These Marmite Macarons will divide the nation. They would in fact divide our house – One of the only things Mr C won’t eat – I can lick Marmite off a spoon!
1. I cannot think of a more appropriate way of using those blue & pink sweets on a cake than this baby shower/gender reveal cake from Mummy Mishaps – Love it!
2. Making great use of an abundance of summery fruit with these Peach, Pistachio & Rose tarts from Domestic Gothess.
3. What child wouldn’t love these Oreo Surprise Cupcakes from Mama Mummy Mum?
4. Rhubarb Strawberry Meringue Tart from the Gluten Free Alchemist – Its amazing what this lady can do when she starts to tinker with a recipe!
5. I don’t think I’ve ever baked with Ricotta – This Ricotta cheesecake from Winnie’s blog has got me intrigued. Very clever!
6. Truly Madly Kids has produced the cutest video on how to make Wimbledon Cake Pops – She and her girls are naturals in front of the camera I tell you!
7. Lemon & Sultana Scones to rival the best of them from A Free From Life – Perfect with Chia Jam & Coconut Cream
8. Vicki from the Free From Fairy has excelled with her Oat Free, Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Chocolate & Coconut Flapjacks – They look so moist and rich.
9. I feel for Baking Queen 74 this week. She has ripped her hands to shreds picking gooseberries. Ouch! This Gooseberry Frangipane Tart is worth it though 😉
10. Super cute Milkshake Cupcakes from A Strong Coffee – I know a few teachers that would love these as an end of school year gift!
And ta-dah! We finally have a Bake of the Week on time! Thanks again for all of your entries – I didn’t even do a Twitter reminder this week. If you do not want me to send you a reminder, please let me know – I won’t be offended. I’m still making my way around all of the entries to comment but have been busy sharing. Please add the badge to your post as usual – Up to 3 entries per blog. No theme.
<div align="center"><a href="https://casacostello.com" title="Casa Costello" target="_blank"><img src="https://casacostello.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bake-of-the-week.jpg" alt="Casa Costello" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
Joining in this month with Lavender & Lovage & Lancashire Food to celebrate Herby Baking – The theme for Cooking With Herbs