We’ve had a few weeks break from the Cake-a-long but its back raring to go! It seems that with every cake I’ve made from the Clandestine Cake Collection, I’ve learnt a new skill and developed a new addiction.
This time it is a delicious orange curd – when I came to make the Cake-a-long bake I discovered I didn’t have any orange curd in so undeterred made my own. Delicious! And so easy in the microwave. All the way through, I was convinced I’d mess it up, my eggs would curdle and it would taste awful – but NO – IT WAS A HUGE SUCCESS! We are now eating Homemade Orange Curd with everything – the kids might draw the line at Orange Curd Tuna Pasta however.
I’ve never heard of a Torta Columbina before – I have googled and found Tarta Columbiana which sounds very similar. This cake was the brainwave of Euan Greig who blogs over at Signor Biscotti, a lovely blog that will have your mouth watering. Euan’s version of the cake looks so much better than mine and you can find the recipe here. I’m going to try to interview Euan in time for the next round up in 2 weeks to find out more.
The cake itself was not too complicated – I did seem to end up with far too much egg white mixture for the topping though and had to crack it to make sure it was cooking. I personally would have liked a stronger orange flavour but I’m sure this is just me. I loved the addition of the almond flavouring too – it really added an interesting aftertaste. I’ve spotted Millie dipping into the cake over and over again which is a sure thumbs up!
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 eggs
- Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
- 175g caster sugar
- Freshly squeezed juice of 2 oranges
- 125g butter, chopped into small pieces
- Whisk the eggs in a large microwave bowl
- Add the orange rind, sugar, orange juice and butter
- Microwave on high at 30 second intervals for at least 8 minutes
- I whisked after every 30 second period so the butter was properly mixed in.
- The curd will thicken and form a thick coating on the back of a metal spoon.
- Taste and be transported to a delicious place!
- Transfer to either one big sterilized kilner jar or small sterilized jars and allow to cool fully.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
So there is the Cake-a-long for this fortnight. I will do a round up on Monday 20th May (the linky will be open until approx 8PM on Mon 20th May) and the new Cake-a-long will start on Tuesday 21st May. It is never too late to start joining in with the Cake-a-long. If you would like to suggest a cake for us to make, please feel free.
Our next bake will be the Giant Lemon Fondant Fancy on page 231 – Eek! Be brave with that fondant!