The ice-cream machine is well and truly one of the family now. Millie had a friend home from school yesterday and promised her we would make ice-cream for after tea. Who am I to argue?
After the success of the first recipe (Raspberry) I was keen to try making chocolate (Violet was also very keen!) The last recipe was super quick by using ready made custard but I wanted to try making proper custard myself so I could tweak the recipe and add various flavours at a later date.
Here’s what I came up with:
1/2 pint milk
4 egg yolks
3oz caster sugar
1 x 284ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
3oz melted chocolate plus another 2oz chocolate chips
good handful tiny marshmallows
How to make the ice-cream:
- Warm the milk in a pan until just boiling.
- Allow to cool slightly then add the eggs and sugar.
- Warm slowly but do not allow to boil or the eggs will curdle.
- Add the melted chocolate.
- Allow to cool again and then add the cream and vanilla.
- When completely cold, add to the ice-cream machine.
- When the ice-cream has thickened add the chocolate chips and the marshmallows.
- We served it with lime jelly – Yum!