Its common knowledge that I love our caravan and I love food. In campsites up and down the land there is always the smell of BBQs. In the 3 years that we have been caravanners we have had a LOT of sausages/burgers etc. which has been lovely but now its time for a change.
Our caravan kitchen is tiny but you don’t have get a sense of achievement when you cook something delicious is such a minute space. We also use our trust Cadac heater for cooking outside which is a lifesaver (but a bugger to wash!)
I have learnt to amend some of our favourite recipes to make them caravan proof – we have hardly any cupboard or fridge space so keep ingredients to a minimum and the less pans we use the better.
One of our favourite meals that makes us feel like we’ve eaten ‘proper’ food is Seafood Pie. I’ve made this dozens of times in the van- it doesn’t always look pretty, sometimes we use hardly any ingredients but it always tastes fab!
Caravan Seafood Pie
What you will need:
Shop bought mashed potato (I’ve tried a few – Asda & Tesco Finest is fine, Morrisons isn’t so great)
Packet of Prawns (any type but Tiger Prawns work best)
A Salmon Steak for each person you are serving (either fresh or frozen but we’ve not got a microwave in the van so we use fresh)
A packet of Parsley sauce (I know! At home I would use the works and make my own but in the van this is fine)
3/4 pint of Milk (to mix into the parsley sauce) – normally they ask for 1/2 pint but I always add more when putting it in Seafood pie.
What you can add that will make it better:
An onion , finely chopped
- Soften the onion in either a large pan or your outdoor Cadac/BBQ dish
- In a separate smaller pan be warming through the mash
- Make up the packet of parsley sauce and add to the pan – add the nutmeg here if you are using it.
- Steam the salmon until just about cooked through.
- Add the prawns and the peas if you are using them.
- At this point you can either eat it as it is or transfer the seafood mix to an ovenproof dish and add the mash on top. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes on 200C