It feels like AGES since the last #Bakeoftheweek – As suspected, half term was crazy busy with Millie’s England swimming training. This week is all about Violet – My lovely, kind, crazy, extreme, beautiful girl is now a very grown up 9! How did those years disappear so quickly? The baby that arrived in less than 1.5 hours has turned into a stunning young lady that makes us so proud and makes us tear our hair out in equal measures.
I couldn’t share this week’s #Bakeoftheweek before the birthday girl had seen her own cake, could I? She had a full on day, plenty of sweets after school, a special pick up by her cousin, followed by the opening night of Wicked at The Lowry. Violet is amazing to go to a show with – she gets completely stuck in, laughing heartily and clapping like mad. Love it!
And so back to the cake. A rich chocolate cake with melted dark chocolate (use milk chocolate if you like – totally not precious here!) I split the mixture into 2 cake tins and then sliced them in half making a 4 tier cake. Filled in with plenty of white chocolate frosting and completely covered in approximately 34 Kit Kat fingers, One bag of Aero Mint Balls, One bag of Maltesers and One bag of White Chocolate Buttons. I MAY have bought some spare chocolate packs just to make sure we had enough – I’m sure you understand!
Ultimate Chocolate Cake with White Chocolate Frosting
|Prep time||1 hour|
|Cook time||45 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour, 45 minutes|
|Misc||Child Friendly, Serve Cold|
|Occasion||Birthday Party, Casual Party|
- 300 + 220g Butter
- 300g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 6 Eggs (Separated)
- 2 + 1 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 300g Self Raising Flour
- 200g White Chocolate (Melted)
- 350g Icing Sugar
- 100g Dark Brown Chocolate (I use 85% cocoa and melt at 10 second intervals in the microwave)
- 2 tablespoons Double Cream
|Preheat the oven to 160C and line 2 x 8" cake tins with baking parchment|
|Using an electric mixer on a medium setting, whisk the first lot of butter and dark brown sugar together until pale and fluffy|
|Add in the egg yolks and 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract gradually until fully combined|
|Stir in the melted dark chocolate|
|Fold in the flour, until just coming together|
|Whisk the egg whites until you have stiff peaks and fold into the cake mixture gently to keep as much of the air as possible|
|Separate the cake mixture between the 2 tins and bake for 45-55 minutes until a skewer comes out clean|
|Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. When cool, cut the cakes into 2 halves - If you are not confident about slicing the cakes in half (across) then it is fine to leave as 2 whole cakes|
|White Chocolate Frosting|
|Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate at 10 second intervals in the microwave and leave to cool slightly|
|Mix together the remaining butter and the icing sugar in an electric mixer and add the white chocolate and remaining vanilla.|
|Add in the double cream. If the frosting is not as stiff as you would like or it is a particularly hot day, you may need to add more icing sugar|
|Stack the cooled cakes, spreading a layer of frosting between each layer and fill in any gaps with remaining frosting|
|Stick Kit Kats around the sides of the cake until you meet up - You may need to add extra frosting to help a couple of them stick - this cake is perfect for disguising any lumps and bumps in cake (I also turn the top tier of cake upside down for a flatter surface)|
|I made 6 segments and separated them with matchmakers but just us whatever you have - Extra Kit Kats will do but they will be thicker|
|Fill in the segments with whatever chocolates you prefer and consume within 2 days - Keep in the fridge if you have room!|
So many wonderful bakes once again for this week’s #Bakeoftheweek – I have to give a special mention to Eileen from ET Speaks From Home with Princess Castle Cake – I know that this will have taken forever and she has done such a great job. Lucky little girl!
I also want to mention Herbs, Spices & Tradition with Baked Asparagus – I love that this is entered into #Bakeoftheweek – completely the spirit of the linky that anything baked is valid …and I don’t eat enough Asparagus, so thanks for the reminder!
For the first time ever, we have enough Cheese related entries to have their own section! So I present to you the Cheesy Bites …
1. Paul’s Food World with Ultimate Cheese Scones
2. Baking Queen with Feta, Pepper & Courgette Filo Pie
3. Jen’s Food with Wholemeal Stilton & Broccoli Pasties
We move on now to the individual portions – For people like me that just don’t find it easy to share!
4. Hijacked by Twins with Muesli & Chia Seed Morning Buns
5. Paul’s Food World – Chocolate Rolls
6. Julie’s Family Kitchen with Chocolate & Cashew Buckwheat Cookies
7. Kidgredients with Cacao & coconut seedy bliss balls
8. Snap Happy Bakes with Mexican Veggie Burgers
9. The Dream Baker with Homemade Char Siu Buns
10. Misplaced Brit with Caramelised Cherry Tomato Tarte Tatin
11. Nic Bakes with White Chocolate & Strawberry Cookies
12. Lemon & Lime Thyme with Chocolate Biscuit Scones & Vanilla Glaze
13. Winnie’s Blog with No Bake White Chocolate & Strawberry Marshmallow
And the more substantial bakes – Perfect for showpieces!
14. Domestic Gothess with White Chocolate, Passion Fruit & Coconut Layer Cake
15. My Little Italian Kitchen with Moist rich chocolate Pie
16. ET Speaks From Home with No Bake Chocolate Tarts
17. My Little Italian Kitchen with Strawberry Crumble Recipe
18. Hijacked by Twins with Chocolate Mint Cake
19. Mummy Mishaps with Choco Aztex Spiced Tea Cake with Blackberry Cream
20. Truly Madly Kids with Banana & Pecan Cake
21. Baking Queen with Zebra Striped Vanilla & Chocolate Cake
22. Petite Raisin with Pistachio Pavlova with Strawberry& Rhubarb Cream
23. Winnie’s Blog with Chocolate Mousse Cake on Hazelnut Crust
Thanks so much once again for your entries into Bake of the Week – Hopefully next week’s #Bakeoftheweek will be bang on time next Tues/Wed! There’s no theme so get spreading the word when you see someone baking online. Have a great week!
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.casacostello.com" title="Casa Costello" target="_blank"><img src="http://casacostello.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bake-of-the-week.jpg" alt="Casa Costello" style="border:none;" /></a></div>