I do love a challenge but must admit when my friend, Lindsay asked if I could make a Justin’s House Birthday Cake for her lovely 2 year old, I did have a mini panic. Never one to be defeated though, I started to do my research. Tara has watched the programme a few times but its never been one of her faves (Now Paw Patrol and Fireman Sam would be a completely different matter!)
The character of Justin (played cleverly by Justin himself!) wouldn’t be a strong enough look to show what theme the cake was. A sugar model of Justin would likely just look like a crazy man dressed in bright colours. Robert the Robot seemed the best option (even if it involved a LOT of edible silver paint). The little green monster was a last minute addition onto the polystyrene sofa which I really like.
Bake of the Week
It feels like forever since I got stuck in with #BakeoftheWeek. Now the end of term is approaching, I feel finally able to get back into the kitchen and start creating recipes. I’ll even have my little helpers joining me too – There might be more mess but there’ll definitely be lots of fun too! There’s plenty of inspiration from our latest entries. Thanks as always to Jenny from Mummy Mishaps for hosting.
My featured Bake from our latest entries is this Smoked Mackerel Quiche with Horseradish from Jo’s Kitchen Larder. I completely adore mackerel – we don’t have it nearly enough. I can almost sense the heat from the added horseradish in this quiche too. Such a great summery recipe.
I love that every other one of our #BakeoftheWeek contains one portion or more of fruit or veg. What a healthy lot we are!
1. The little red gems of cranberry look like jewels poking through in this Rooibos (Red Bush) & Cranberry Tea Cake from Everyday Healthy Recipes.
2. One of my all time favourites, Lemon & Lime Meringue Pie from Hijacked by Twins. I will never tire of this mix of tarty citrus with a super sweet meringue top.
3. A perfect suggestion for the summery picnics we have planned, Carrot, Cabbage & Cheddar Muffins with Garlic Scapes from Tin & Thyme.
4. Super pretty & ultra summery, Strawberry Yogurt Cake from Jo’s Kitchen Larder
5. Getting creative with only 3 ingredients is Mummy Mishaps with these incredible Refined Sugar Free Peanut Butter & Apple Granola Cookies.
How to join in with Bake of the Week:
We are really grateful to everyone who joins us in celebrating #BakeoftheWeek, whether you join in every week, once in a blue moon or simply share a post across social media. It all helps. We welcome up to 3 entries per blog per week and old entries are allowed as long as they carry a link to me at Casa Costello (http://casacostello.com) and Jenny (http://mummymishaps.co.uk) and the badge (below).Please only enter posts once.
We share every post on Twitter, Pinterest, Stumble Upon & Yummy plus G+ & Facebook when we can. Plus every entry gets a mention and link in our following week’s Roundup.
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.casacostello.com" title="Casa Costello" target="_blank"><img src="http://casacostello.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bake-of-the-week.jpg" alt="Casa Costello" style="border:none;" /></a></div>