Food Technology – The start of a new era

There is great excitement in the Costello household this evening. Tomorrow sees the 11yo’s first ever practical Food Tech class (At school – obviously the 11 years that I’ve been trying to teach her in the kitchen don’t count!) She is beyond excited and has been rabbiting on about this day since Year 5 of primary school. No idea where she gets her obsession about food from. *cough*

I’ve had my instructions. I was given my shopping list. I have made her promise NEVER to be one of those kids that tells me at 10PM the night before that she needs 18 ingredients that we don’t have.

I can now reveal what they are making …what they had a 2 hour theory lesson to prepare for last week … what all the excitement is about … They are making (Cooking is far too strong a word for this…)

teaching children to cook

A HOT DRINK!!!

Be afraid Gordon Ramsey, be very afraid!

While I am freaking out slightly at the thought of her boiling a kettle (I know! Don’t judge) I’m still rather proud that she’s completely gone to town on her ingredients.

She’s an A* pupil all the way with this one.

Hot Chocolate

with Whipped Cream

With Sprinkles

With Marshmallows

With Gold Spray!

There’s my girl. Look forward to many more updates on the life and times of a school girl cookery lessons – Not least the week when they make trifle using Angel Delight instead of custard. I think the cat may eat that week’s installment ;-)

Comments

1. says

Wow! They are really pushing the boundaries with that lesson ;) See your daughter will for sure have the best hot chocolate, gold spray am impressed! Angel delight….are they encouraging the packet food nation there?

My two started off on fruit salad, which they were both a bit disappointed at doing as not that inspiring to do. Now see this was quite a good start, they moved on to crumble and soup from then :-)

2. says

This really made me giggle! I always remember at school a boy who decided to make cheese sandwiches in HE (apparently he didn’t like cheese & potato pie which is what the rest of us were making). He forgot the cheese!!

3. says

God I was making cuppa’s and hot chocs from when I was about 7. Where are the days of Fruit Crumbles or Bread?? I’m honestly in shock here Helen!! I hope she makes a great Hot Choc though :) One you can be proud to put a little tipple in ;) xx

4. says

The key to a good hot chocolate is the accessories so it looks like she’s all sorted!

Our year 7′s made for their first attempt at cooking….A sandwich! And some of the end results left a lot to be desired.

5. says

I am the mother to that child that tells me she needs this, that and the other at 10pm for 9am the next day!
    I once was sent out for such items and they all had to be fair trade too. She has thought about presentation with the gold spray, I bet that is what the 2 hours theory lesson was all about.

• Helen says

Today it is fruit salad – I cannot tell you how many times I’ve been shopping this weekend for random fruit combinations. x

6. says

Oh this looks so yummy. I could do with one right now. hmmmm Hot chocolate isn’t perfect until the accessories are added. Looks like she did fabulous!!!!