Remember the marzipan apples, I blogged about at the weekend? Well, here are the cakes that I made them to go with.
I was recently sent some baking goodies courtesy of Flora Cuisine and asked to bake a recipe out of their new cookbook, Lets Get Cooking. I’ll admit to being a little nervous of baking with a liquid form of butter and including fruit too but happily the recipe came off without a hitch.
Flora’s cookbook is rammed full of recipes supplied by Mums and Dads on Facebook. The apple cake recipe in particular was sent in by Sian Hallewell.
The recipe itself was really quick and easy to make. An ideal recipe for baking with the children I’d say. Once I’d got my head round measuring out the liquid Flora and looking through the little window on the bottle, I was all systems go and it was SO quick!
If you fancy a go at making apple cakes, the recipe is here
Me, being me, I had to go one step further and added Cinnamon Frosting. I was too intrigued to see how the liquid Flora Cuisine coped with buttercream/frosting not to have a go. One tip I would give is to wait a couple of minutes before piping as the buttercream does start setting a couple of minutes in – I had to go back and add just a bit more milk before piping but it was great, and again so quick.
100ml Flora Cuisine
Approx 450g icing sugar
Approx 50ml milk
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1. Mix together the butter and one third of the icing sugar.
2 Add the cinnamon
3. Alternate adding a splash of the milk and a tbsp of the icing sugar until you get a consistency you are happy with.
4. Wait a couple of minutes before adding to a piping bag to check that the frosting hasn’t hardened too much. If it has, add a couple of splashes more milk.
Flora are now giving you the chance to win not only a copy of this great little book but also a week’s worth of delicious dinners for a family of four. Here’s how to enter:
- Follow @OfficialFloraUK on Twitter and tweet a bite-sized review using the hashtag #CookbookComp (If you want to leave a comment to let me know when you’ve entered, I’d love it – I LOVE twitter reviews!)
- Example: @OfficialFloraUK I added raisins into the mixture and it’s safe to say the kids loved them! #CookbookComp
- OR .. Find the recipe on the Flora Website and leave a review in the comments section below it. Then drop a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org so Flora can contact you if you are a lucky winner.
Best of luck! Can’t wait to see all the reviews – I’m still working my way through the cook book – Think its Sticky Chilli Prawns next for us!
Disclosure: I was sent the ingredients and the cookbook to make the Apple Cakes by Flora. All the opinions are my own though and the decision to make Cinnamon Frosting my own too but I’m really glad I did as it went really well with cakes!
Flora Cuisine Tip! When pouring out the butter stay near to a light. It makes it much easier to see through the bottle to check how much you’ve used.