I’ve just put a cake in the oven that is only due to come out at 1am. I’m certain I’m not the only cake decorator to have done this but as time is racing towards Aardvark Cakes taking a long/maybe permanent break, I just got a little giddy that these late nights maybe a thing of the past.
With under 3 weeks to go until most orders are completed, I have started to take a light hearted look at what I won’t miss about the cake industry.
- The Washing Up! (See the pic above for what is waiting for me when I finish this blog post)
- Endlessly running out of eggs – I had to make an emergency dash to Tesco for 20 eggs earlier AGAIN!
- Wrapping fruit cakes in newspaper – horrid job.
- Searching for the cake tester knitting needle – I’m sure there’s a fairy in this house that steals it inbetween cakes.
- Tidying the house for customers coming to collect their cakes and trying to keep 3 kids quiet and calm at the same time.
- Phone calls asking if I’m interested in selling the business – funny, I’ve not had one of these calls since deciding to stop the business. Ring me now if you dare
- Being at a party and getting asked to divide up the cake – I only make the bleedin things, I’m not the expert at cutting them!
- People apologising for serving me Asda/Costco cakes – Shock! I love Costco cake.
- Having to keep every receipt – I’m going to bin all receipts with relish when I stop!
- Never being able to have tea as all 3 ovens have a cake in them. They won’t know what’s hit them in July.
Can you think of anything I’ve missed? What drives you mad about making cakes?
Next week, I will start to look at what I am looking forward to doing – the list is getting ever bigger. I have booked for nail extensions on my last cake day as a symbol that I have actually finished – and also because I’m vain and want to look gorgeous on my hols!