According to the Foodies 100 it is National Picnic Week this week – we have been asked what is our favourite food for a picnic. Being a massive outdoor, caravanning, picnicking family we have hundreds of picnics every year so am always on the lookout for interesting nibbles on the go.
I’ve never been a massive fan of the sandwich – I find that the kids get bored so quickly with various flavour (especially as they take packed lunches to school too), the bread or wraps so soggy so soon and don’t get me started on sandy butties on the beach! My previous life as a food hygiene trainer doesn’t help either as I like to stay clear of any meats/fish or generally anything that can result in picnic poos.
So what do we take on a picnic? I introduce to you, the Costello’s Spicy Herby Potatoes. I’ve taken them on every picnic imaginable since I discovered how fab they are – Freezing cold New Year’s Day walks, meals on the beach in Biarritz in sublime temperatures, the grotty picnic room of local outdoor play areas – you name it, they’ve been devoured there!
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: Up to an hour
1 packet potatoes: Salad potatoes, New potatoes, any will do. Small potatoes are best as they don’t need chopping, which all saves time.
1 glug of oil
1 tbsp of chilli powder (use less if your children prefer less spice)
Hefty sprinkling of mixed herbs
Large knob of butter
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C – Dont worry if the oven isn’t up to temp, just bung them in!
2. Wash the potatoes and place in an oven dish.
3. Mix through the oil so each potato is covered.
4. Sprinkle over the chilli powder, herbs & salt and pepper.
5. Cover with tin foil and cook for up to an hour or whenever the potatoes are soft.
6. 5 minutes before you are due to go out, put the butter in and stir through.
7. Pack the oven dish in a double carrier bag (careful it will be REALLY hot) and leave the house.
8. Enjoy your picnic and come home absolutely shattered and filthy after a wonderful day!