My mum has recently discovered Lemon Drizzle cake so whenever we go round there’s always one there. Not to be beaten, I wanted to discover a drizzle cake of my own and so was born my version of a Lemon/Orange/St Clements cake.
The cake is perfectly lovely and extremely tangy without icing but being me, I wanted to tart it up a bit. I used ready to mix fondant icing which I’ve wanted to try for a while and it was just perfect. I would think the ready to roll fondant icing might just be a bit too heavy for this cake and take away too much of the tang.
The recipe below makes 12 cupcakes (I used a square cupcake tin) and an 8″ square cake.
8oz caster sugar
10oz self-raising flour
2 egg whites
2fl oz milk
juice of 1 lemon and 1 satsuma/tangerine
finely grated rind of 2 lemons and 2 tangerines
St Clements Drizzle Mixture (Optional but really good)
8oz Caster Sugar
Juice of 2 lemons and 1 satsuma/tangerine/small orange
1. Preheat the oven to 170C
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until pale
3. Gradually add eggs one at a time
4. Alternately add the flour and the milk/fruit juices and add the rind (I nearly forgot!)
5. Divide between the tins and bake for approx. 25 mins (cupcakes) and 35 mins (Square cake)
6. While the mixture is in the oven mix together the lemon/orange juice and the sugar.
7. When the cakes come out of the oven and are still warm but not roasting hot, drizzle the mixture over the cakes. I spooned it over the cupcakes as I didn’t want the cases to be soggy.
The kids loved the cupcakes and thought the magical sparkly drizzle mixture was wonderful (No, I didn’t know it was sparkly either but apparently it was!)
My personal favourite was one of the cupcakes that had just the top iced – you could still taste the lemon tang and underneath the icing there was still the crunch from the drizzle.
These cakes were even better 2 days later!
I’m entering this recipe into a competition run by Anchor Butter to win some goodies to celebrate their 125th Anniversary. The people at Anchor are trying to get us all to bring back Elevenses – encouraging us to sit down with a brew and a bite at 11am – I don’t need telling twice! Happy Anniversary Anchor.